Sunday, November 24, 2013

Being Bernard Leach

It's grandiose really. Bernard Leach was an English potter, based in Cornwall who studied for many years in Japan and bought back their techniques and styles , which he then shared with the western potters. His dynasty potters on...his grandson Simon now teaches and creates masterpieces.

That's what I aspire to...although I am a beginner, being 18 months into the craft. What's good is that I am improving, having just recently sold a piece and produced a set of five breakfast bowls. What's good is that I have recently acquired the skill of keeping the clay centered while forming the cylinder wall, the failure of which dogged my pots with uneven rims.

 Here are two of the five bowls...yet to be bisqued and glazed...approximately the same size and each capable of holding 8oz yoghurt and 6oz fruit.


The issue I have is muscle memory or the art of perfection by repetition. As I perfect bowls, I will move onto pots with lids, and then teapots. I still have a few years left. What I do find, novice or not, is that throwing pots is very meditative...the clay needs to be centered, my mind needs to be calm, and I can't hurry the process. All I can do is to remain in the present, quietly centered, just as I want my pots to be.


One of my previous pots (above) had a nice pattern, but was not a perfect shape and, you'll notice, has an uneven rim. Nevertheless, it sold for $10.

A fellow potter, Bede Clarke, gave me some words to sustain me..."For me, good pots spring from compassion. My working method amounts to wishing the work well at each stage of creation. Like raising a child, I just put my hands on the work silently,  encouraging it to "be good, be good." Always I return to the clay trying to bring as much sincerity as I can muster to the work."

May all living beings be happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment