Friday, November 6, 2015

Glazes from Haute-Midi


I learned this technique from a potter in St Antonin in France. He applied the glaze using a ladle - black from the top, then reversing the piece and applying white.


Only he worked on porcelain, which is naturally white. My clay, stoneware, is a brown color, so I finally sprayed white over the pot after ladling the primary colors. To my pleasure, the kiln goddess created a coffee color from that light spray. There, you have it.

I'm working on a more viscous black glaze as the current one runs a little too much. 

Nov 24: Just made another pot which can be a vehicle for testing out the new glazes. Other things different are:

   I applied them with a spatula rather
   than a ladle

   I used red as well as black/white on the
   outside and glazed the inside Riki white
   on serene green

Here's hoping the kiln goddess will look with favor and that the finish doesn't seem too splashy...


I like the Riki white on serene green inside, but consider a ladle is better for applying glaze than the spatula as with the latter it tends to splash. The black however does not run.

Set of bowls next, same as above but ladle application. Or maybe use green for grass, black for stems, and red for poppies..?

No comments:

Post a Comment