Friday, July 10, 2015

Making "big" pots...


Making another step in my pottery career.
I had difficulty in centering and opening up large amounts of clay (6-10lbs) as I was using techniques better suite for smaller amounts. So watched several you-tube videos to get the idea and made notes in my clay notebook.


Threw four large pots, the first of which was unsuccessfully completed as I had not allowed for the necessary clay to support the cylinder which collapsed when I started to form it.

The picture above is my first successful big pot which I then repeated and a third time made a pot from 10lbs of clay. The final one not as symmetric as I would have hoped and a little heavy for its size, but thrilled at being able to manage such an amount. Can only improve.

Note to self...don't hurry the cylinder build and pay attention to the rim from the start...

No comments:

Post a Comment